Tuesday 16 December 2014

How I aim to achieve my goals in 2015

If you've read my about me page, then you’ll probably already have seen that I have a list of goals that I would like to achieve in 2015.

These include:
  • Lose weight
  • Lead a more active and healthy lifestyle
  • Complete a first aid course
  • Read one book a month
  • Complete Cancer Research UK’s Race for life
  • Improve my photography
  • Learn to speak Italian
  • Spend more time outdoors with our girls 
This post is my action plan! I’ll share with you how I intend on achieving these goals and if you have any handy hints or tips please share them with me!

So first up….

Losing weight

Back in January of this year I started the NHS Live Well 12 week plan to lose weight and I did really well on it. I lost one stone in one month, but sadly I started to snack again and before I knew it I’d put that weight back on.

I fully intend to start this again in January 2015, although now that I’ve sold my cross-trainer and weights I might find the exercising part a tad more difficult.

I don’t get much time to myself as I work two days a week and then the rest of the week is spent looking after my twins. I don’t have any childcare available to me and putting my girls into a crèche just isn’t an option for me. All that leaves me is the evenings. I might see if I can find a local evening class or just find some simple at-home exercises to do.

I think finding a local class will give me a better chance as I’ll have to go out to do it, whereas doing my own exercise at home might leave me feeling a bit unmotivated as I’d be doing it on my own, probably in my small kitchen surrounded by food!

Lead a more active and healthy lifestyle

I’m hoping this one will go hand in hand with my other goal of spending more time outdoors with our girls.

We have our nice little routine of going to play group on a Thursday morning and music group on a Friday morning. This means our afternoons are usually spent at home. Indoors if it’s raining or in the garden if it’s sunny. Wednesdays are usually spent at the park and again at home.

I’d like to get a bike, but then I can’t have both the girls on there with me – unless you know something I don’t?!

I’m hoping to visit one outdoor local attraction a month with the girls. More about this below!

If you’re local to Cardiff and have any great places to go please let me know!

Complete a first aid course

This was suggested to me by another blogger and it’s such a brilliant idea! Especially because I’m a parent. I should also add to this goal to get a first aid kit as we don’t currently have one in our home and we should have one.

I’ve just this second emailed a lady to find out what dates a family first aid course is being run in 2015, so this goal is already in progress!

Read one book a month

I’ve always loved reading. Ever since I was a child. I have a lot of books, most of which I’ve read and the majority of those are James Patterson books, but sadly I just don’t get enough time anymore to read.

I’m hoping to change this by setting myself a goal to read one book a month.

My first book will be ‘The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared’ by Jonas Jonasson. It’s not my usual sort of book, but as 2015 is all about trying new things and learning new skills I thought I’d give it a go as it sounds rather fascinating!

Complete Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life

My sister and I did this every year up until the year that I became pregnant and we just haven’t got around to doing it again.

We do it in memory of our mum who passed away back in 2005 after bravely battling ovarian cancer. Entry for 2015 is now open so I just need to decide a date and book it!

If you’re in Cardiff and want to take part too let me know!

Improve my photography

This goal is very much going to be a self-taught one as I can’t afford to pay for courses. I bought myself a lovely Nikon D3200 camera earlier this year and I do use it a lot. I mainly use it for my other blog when photographing review items.

I’ve used it on occasional days out too and to take pictures of my girls.

I have a feeling this goal will involve me spending far too much time on You Tube looking at photography tutorials!

Learn to speak Italian

My husband and I have been to Rome twice together and we both fell in love the city, the culture, the people, the language and the food!

It’s the city of romance and the language sounds so magical and enchanting! I could just sit and listen to the Italians talk all day!

I’m hoping to learn to speak Italian in 2015. I don’t know how long it takes to learn a language so I’m not sure if this is one goal I can 100% achieve in 2015, but if I learn to have a conversation in Italian or a few phrases I’ll be happy.

I don’t really know where to start with this one though, so if you have any tips please let me know!

I’ve found a great app on my phone and I might buy a CD to listen to. I’ll keep you updated!

Spend more time outdoors with our girls

As mentioned above I’m hoping to visit one local attraction a month in 2015 – this is pretty weather dependent, but here is a list of 12 places I hope to visit with my girls in 2015.

1. The Wenault. I spent a fair of bit of time here as child and it’s just a five minute car drive away from where we live. Apparently the bluebells here in the spring are pretty spectacular, so I’m thinking Spring is the time to go. I could even bring my camera for some nature shots!

2. St Fagans National History Museum. My husband and I took our girls here once this year and it’s lovely for walks and exploring the museum. I’m hoping to spend some more time here next year.

3. Castell Coch. A beautiful castle set high up in the hills. It looks like a fairy tale castle and is truly magical. I think I’ve been inside it when I was a child, but I really can’t remember! I did go in this year because it’s where my sister got married. I’d love to explore the grounds a bit more with the girls and maybe even take a picnic!

4. Cefn Onn. Another country park which is only a five minute drive away from us. My husband and I took our girls here once this year so I’m hoping to pay a few more visits here next year.

5. Cardiff Castle. I've been in here when I was a child and spent many summer afternoons sitting on the grass outside the castle when I was a teenager, but I can't remember the last time I went inside. It's a fairly big castle and obviously has lots of history. I think in the summer there are a few family days held here, so I think this is one for the summer.

6. Roath Park. A stunning park with a large lake, cafe and park for children to play in. We love coming here in the summer and having a picnic. Must do it more next year!

7. Caerleon Roman Fortress and Baths. This trip is a bit further afield, but it's well worth the journey. Lots of open spaces for our girls to explore and play in.

8. Caerphilly Castle. Another castle! On a sunny day it's a great place to explore and enjoy the sunshine.

9. Cardiff Bay. I love Cardiff Bay. There are lots of places to eat, lots of places to walk and they also have Techniquest which my girls love!

10. Thornhill Farm Shop. This place is just up the road from me, but I've never been. It's a farm shop and cafe, but it also has a small play area out the back and some animals too.

11. Cosmeston Lakes Country Park. You can bring your own BBQ and wander around the lakes. They have a play area for children and it's a great outdoors place to visit.

12. Cefn Mably Farm Park. We visit her regularly and our girls love it! They love running around, looking at and feeding the animals and then playing in the soft play area afterwards!

So, that's how I plan on achieving my goals in 2015! Do you have any goals for 2015?

12 comments:

  1. The 100 yrs old man...... Is an awesome book! I'm all about the crime thriller, but loved it. Also look up the 'Girl in a Box' series, an excellent read. Good luck with your goals, one of mine is to finally get that coffee with you!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it's a good book! I've asked my sister to buy it for me for my birthday! I do love crime thrillers! Will look up 'Girl in a box' now hun, thank you. We will have coffee! I'll add it to my list of goals! Have coffee (well, tea,- I don't like coffee!) with Jo! x

      Delete
    2. Definitely! That would take it from an excellent list, to an awesome list ;-) xx

      Delete
  2. I love it. I was thinking of doing a post similar and I completely agree 2015 is a new year to try new things. I love the list of where you want to take the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! :) I'm hoping to have a healthier lifestyle too, no idea how I'm going to go sbout it though. Sounds like you'll be visiting some lovely places xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Good luck with your healthier lifestyle. It's taken me a year to find the motivation to do it! x

      Delete
  4. That's quite a list! Hope you achieve it all. It's great to start the year off with some clear ambitions. Good luck for 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a long list, but hopefully it's an achievable one! Thank you x

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, I lived in Rome after uni, good luck with Italian, forgotten what I'd learnt! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts. Please add my badge or link back, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I haven't made a start on the Italian yet, but will do soon xx

      Delete